Environment, Free Stuff
Giveaway Weekend This Weekend
The city is have another giveaway weekend this weekend to give your reusable unwanted items a new home and keep them out of the landfill.
On Saturday, May 12 and Sunday, May 12, 2012, label unwanted items with a “FREE” sticker and place them at the curb on your front street.
Tips if you are giving away items:
* Place unwanted household items at the curb on your front street.
* Label each item with a FREE sticker or sign.
* Keep any items safely tucked away that you don’t want to give away.
* Remove leftover items from the curb by dusk on Sunday.
Examples of giveaway items include:
* Books, CDs and DVDs
* Furniture, electronics and small appliances
* Sports equipment and toys
* Yard and gardening tools and equipment (e.g., lawn mowers, snow throwers, rakes, shovels)
* Kitchen gadgets, dishes, cutlery, pots and pans
* Unwanted gifts
* Construction material (e.g., nails, paint, wood)
Please do not put out:
* Hazardous material
* Items that could be unsafe
* Items that could carry bedbugs (e.g., mattresses, linens, furniture)
Tips if you are cruising the curbs looking for treasures:
* Take only the items at the curb marked “FREE.”
* Respect other people’s property – please don’t walk or drive on people’s lawns or gardens.
* Don’t discard any items on another person’s lawn.
* Obey the traffic laws at all times (e.g., don’t block traffic, park illegally or block people’s driveways with your vehicle).
* Watch out for children.
Winnipeg’s fall Giveaway Weekend will be September 8 and 9, 2012. [CITY OF WINNIPEG]