We did it! For the 19th year in a row, Manitoba has been crowned the Slurpee Capital of the World. Manitoba had the highest highest average number of Slurpee cups sold per store in a region.
To celebrate, the City of Winnipeg has designated a street with the honourary name of ‘Slurpee Way’.
In addition, on 7-Eleven Day (July 7, 2018), they’ll be giving away 900,000 free Slurpee drinks across Canada. The Slurpee will be a small birthday-sized Slurpee in a special 7-Eleven Day Cup featuring photos of Slurpee fans.
Manitoba: Slurpee Capital of the World
According to 7-Eleven market manager, Amrit Goraya, when you are not from Manitoba you may find some of these “normal occurrences” unusual… when you live in Manitoba, you don’t even notice:
- Slurpee is the number one beverage served to women in Winnipeg’s maternity wards in the summer time
- Instead of giving flowers, people meet and greet friends and family at the airport by giving them Slurpee drinks
- When it’s -40 degrees Celsius outside, people are seen waiting for the bus, biking and skating with a Slurpee in hand
- Slurpee is the choice drink for fans watching outdoor football games when it’s -20 degrees Celsius
- Slurpee is often served at summer weddings
- People consume Slurpee drinks for breakfast year round
- As of July 2013, Winnipeg plays host to one of the top three Slurpee stores: Airdrie, Alberta, snatching the #1 spot; Portage Avenue in Winnipeg (#2); Devonshire Drive North, Regina (#3)
GO WINNIPEG GO!!!