Starting in October, OnlyFans will prohibit sexually explicit content from its platform.
OnlyFans is a subscription-based video sharing site meant for creators (such as musicians and artists) to share exclusive videos to their fans. However, it’s know best known for sex workers to share adult videos and photos.
Last year, the site generated $2-billion in sales, a large amount coming from adult-themed accounts.
The change is due to pressure from banking and payment provider partners, who sees the company being lenient on creators who have posted illegal content.
Users on the platform can still post nude images as long as they comply with the their acceptable use policy:
- Do not use OnlyFans except for your own personal use and do not sell, rent, transfer, or share your account or any Content obtained from your use of OnlyFans to or with anyone else.
- Only use OnlyFans in a manner and for a purpose that is lawful.
- Do not upload, post, display, or publish Content on OnlyFans that is illegal, fraudulent, defamatory, hateful, discriminatory, threatening or harassing, or which encourages or promotes violence or any illegal activity.
- Do not use OnlyFans in any way which may exploit, harm, or attempt to exploit or harm any individual under 18 years old, for example by exposing them to inappropriate Content.
- Do not upload, post, display, or publish Content on OnlyFans that:
- shows, includes or refers to:
- any individual under 18 years old (or which refers to individuals under 18 years old generally); or
- any other individual unless you have written documentation which confirms that all individuals shown or included or referred to in your Content are at least 18 years old, and you have a written consent from each individual to use their name or images (or both) in the Content;
- shows, promotes, advertises or refers to:
- firearms, weapons, or any goods whose sale, possession or use is subject to prohibitions or restrictions;
- drugs or drug paraphernalia;
- self-harm or suicide;
- violence, rape, lack of consent, hypnosis, intoxication, sexual assault, torture, sadomasochistic abuse or hardcore bondage, extreme fisting, or genital mutilation;
- urine, scatological, or excrement-related material;
- “revenge porn” (being any sexually explicit material featuring any individual who has not given prior, express and fully informed consent to that material (a) being taken, captured, or otherwise memorialized, or (b) being posted and shared on OnlyFans);
- escort services, sex trafficking, or prostitution;
- contains unsolicited sexual content or unsolicited language that sexually objectifies another User or anyone else in a non-consensual way, or contains fake or manipulated sexual content in relation to another User or anyone else (including “deepfakes”);
- contains, promotes, advertises or refers to hate speech (being Content intended to vilify, humiliate, dehumanize, exclude, attack, threaten, or incite hatred, fear of, or violence against, a group or individual based on race, ethnicity, national origin, immigration status, caste, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, serious disease, veteran status, or any other protected characteristic);
- contains or refers to anyone else’s personal data or private or confidential information (for example, telephone numbers, location information (including street addresses and GPS coordinates), names, identity documents, email addresses, log-in credentials for OnlyFans including passwords and security questions, financial information including bank account and credit card details, biometric data, and medical records) without that person’s express written consent;
- in the case of Content featuring public nudity, was recorded in or is being broadcast from a country, State or province where public nudity is illegal; or
- in the case of Content featuring sexual activities, was recorded in or is being broadcast from a public place where members of the public are reasonably likely to see the activities being performed (this does not include outdoor places where members of the public are not present, for example private property such as a private backyard, or secluded areas in nature where members of the public are not present).
- gives the impression that it comes from or is approved, licensed or endorsed by us or any other person or company;
- causes or is calculated to cause inconvenience, or anxiety to anyone else or which is likely to upset, embarrass, or cause serious offence to anyone else;
- is used or is intended to be used to extract money or another benefit from anyone else in exchange for removal of the Content; and/or
- involves or promotes third party commercial activities or sales, such as contests, sweepstakes and other sales promotions, product placements, advertising, or job posting or employment ads without our prior express consent.
- shows, includes or refers to: