Bed, Bath and Beyond and buybuy Baby have announced that it will be closing all 65 stores in Canada.
Target was another major U.S. chain to do a mass exodus from Canada. Here’s how that went:
- January 15, 2015: Target announces it will be closing all 133 stores in Canada
- February 5, 2015: Liquidation sales start at all Canadian Target locations
- February 24, 2015: Discounts are increased to 20% – 40% OFF
- February 26, 2015: Discounts are increased to 25% – 40% OFF
- March 5, 2015: Discounts are increased to 30% – 50% OFF
- March 19, 2015: Discounts are increased to 40% – 60% OFF
- March 23, 2015: Winnipeg Southdale Target location permanently closes and remaining inventory is moved to Grant Park and Polo Park
- March 26, 2015: Discounts are increased to 50% – 70% OFF
- April 2, 2015: Winnipeg Grant Park Target location permanently closes
- April 6, 2015: Winnipeg Polo Park location permanently closes
- April 12, 2015: All Canadian Target locations have permanently closed
It took a little under 3 months for Target to completely leave Canada with staggered closing dates and discounts increasing over time.
If they follow a similar timeline, we can expect to see Bed, Bath & Beyond and buybuy Baby liquidation sales as early as March 1, 2023.
With only a single Bed, Bath & Beyond and buybuy Baby location in Winnipeg, and pressure from creditors in the U.S., we don’t expect it to take any longer than 3 months to complete close both stores.
Remember to use your gift cards as soon as possible to avoid any issues.