Cardinal Motel Originally uploaded by Roadsidepictures
More details have surfaced regarding the new Accommodation Tax (also known as the Hotel Tax) that was approved last year. The 5% tax fee will now be exempted under special circumstances.
– If you are visiting Winnipeg for medical treatment, you are not subject to the accommodation tax
– Campgrounds and Trailer Parks are exempt from the tax
– Bed and breakfasts with three rooms or less
– Hotels that charge $30 or less per night
– Anyone who stays in the same room for 30 nights or more
This should put some ease to the many angry hotel owners that were upset with the new tax. Though the new exemptions are not any benefit to major chains such as Canad Inns, it shows some hope that the city is willing to work on certain exemptions for certain cases.