Image Candles V – Uploaded by tillwe

The Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service would like to remind citizens to be cautious when lighting candles in the home this holiday season.

* Candles should always be burned in proper holders or bases. Never leave lit candles unattended.

* Never leave children or pets unattended in a room with a lit candle.

* Avoid putting lit candles in a drafty area, to prevent uneven burning and dripping.

* Do not place candles near or in Christmas trees, curtains, decorations, or other combustible material such as bedding or cushions.

* Place candles and matches or lighters out of the reach of children, and when candles are in use, place them in approved, non-combustible holders.

* Candleholders should be placed on a firm, non-slip surface.

* Extinguish candles when they get to within two inches of the holder or decoration.

* Always store candles in a cool, dark and dry place. They should be stored flat to avoid warping.

* Refrigerate candles before using; they will burn more slowly and evenly. Wrap in foil or plastic before refrigeration to prevent the wick from absorbing moisture.

* Keep wicks trimmed to half an inch and remove excess wax before storage. Long and crooked wicks cause uneven burning and dripping.

Happy holidays Winnipeg!