Citizens are reminded to be cautious when lighting candles in the home this holiday season.
* Candles should always be burned in proper holders or bases. Never leave lit candles unattended.
* Never leave children or pets unattended in a room with a lit candle.
* Avoid putting lit candles in a drafty area to prevent uneven burning and dripping.
* Do not place candles near or in Christmas trees, curtains, decorations or other combustible material such as bedding or cushions.
* Place candles, matches or lighters out of the reach of children. When candles are in use place them in approved, non-combustible holders.
* Candleholders should be placed on a firm, non-slip surface.
* Extinguish candles when they get to within two inches of the holder or decoration.
* Always store candles in a cool, dark and dry place. They should be stored flat to avoid warping.
* Refrigerate candles before using them; they will burn more slowly and evenly. Wrap them in foil or plastic before refrigeration to prevent the wick from absorbing moisture.
* Keep wicks trimmed to half an inch and remove excess wax before storage. Long and crooked wicks cause uneven burning and dripping.