For the 18th consecutive year, Manitoba has been crowned the Slurpee Capital of the World. Manitoba had the highest highest average number of Slurpee cups sold per store in a region.
On 7-Eleven Day (July 7, 2017), we’ll be presented with the Slurpee Capital of the World Cup at its annual community celebration located at 119 Salter Street. Slurpee lovers are invited to join in the fun.
There will be fun for the whole family including live music, face painting, balloon artists and free food samples will also add to the fun. The world’s largest Slurpee cup (711 liters) will proudly be on display and mascot, Mr. Slurpee, will be in attendance.
Manitoba: Slurpee Capital of the World
According to 7-Eleven market manager, Amrit Goraya, when you are not from Manitoba you may find some of these “normal occurrences” unusual… when you live in Manitoba, you don’t even notice:
- Slurpee is the number one beverage served to women in Winnipeg’s maternity wards in the summer time
- Instead of giving flowers, people meet and greet friends and family at the airport by giving them Slurpee drinks
- When it’s -40 degrees Celsius outside, people are seen waiting for the bus, biking and skating with a Slurpee in hand
- Slurpee is the choice drink for fans watching outdoor football games when it’s -20 degrees Celsius
- Slurpee is often served at summer weddings
- People consume Slurpee drinks for breakfast year round
- As of July 2013, Winnipeg plays host to one of the top three Slurpee stores: Airdrie, Alberta, snatching the #1 spot; Portage Avenue in Winnipeg (#2); Devonshire Drive North, Regina (#3)
Free Slurpee Day
On Tuesday, July 11, 2017 (7/11), 7-Eleven will once again be giving away free Slurpees at all its stores across the country between 11:00am and 7:00pm. The free Slurpees will be in 12oz cup. Each store will be have a minimum 1,500 free Slurpee’s.