Steve Jobs announced in a iPhone 4 press conference today that the iPhone will be available in Canada and 16 other Countries on Friday, July 30, 2010 (make sure you book it off work!)
The press conference was mainly to address the antenna issue that has been all over the internet. Here were the key points to Job’s explanation:
– this doesn’t just happen to the iPhone, Nokia, Motorola… other phones have this issue.
– The BlackBerry Bold 9700… let’s see what happens when you hold it in a normal way… 5 bars… and now on holding the left side. The bars go down
– Android.. Starts off with 4 bars… and the time it takes for the bars to go down has to do with the algorithm… so it goes down to zero bars, and then it goes back up
– Most smartphones take a hit exactly the same way
– AppleCare data shows only 0.55% have called in about reception issues
– Early buyer return rate = 1/3 of 3GS
– the iPhone 4 drops less than one additional call per 100 than the 3GS
Steve Job’s says the issue is not Apple’s fault, its a Smartphone weakness fault, but to make customers happy they are providing FREE cases. They can not manufacture enough bumpers so they will be third party cases and you will have a choice of which one you want.
All iPhone 4 purchases through September 30, 2010 will included a FREE case, so Canada purchases will apply as well.