The city is promoting another giveaway weekend this weekend to give your reusable unwanted items a new home and keep them out of the landfill.
On Saturday, May 14 & Sunday, May 15, label unwanted items with a “FREE” sticker and place them at the curb on your front street.
What to give
* books, CDs and DVDs
* furniture and small appliances
* sports equipment and toys
* yard and gardening equipment (e.g., lawn mowers, snow throwers, rakes, shovels)
* kitchen gadgets, dishes, cutlery, pots and pans
* unwanted gifts
* construction material including drywall and hardware (e.g., nails, bolts and screws)
What not to give
* any items infested with bed bugs (e.g., mattresses, furniture, bedding)
* toilets (with a flush volume of 13 litres or more)
* visit the Consumer Product Safety Bureau to find out about items that aren’t safe to give away (e.g., baby walkers, lawn darts)
* Take only the items at the curb marked “FREE”.
* Respect other people’s property – don’t walk or drive on people’s lawns or gardens.
* Giveaway items should still be in good condition.
* Don’t discard any items on another person’s lawn.
* Obey the traffic laws at all times (e.g., don’t block traffic, park illegally or block people’s driveways with your vehicle) and watch out for children.