The Winnipeg Blue Bombers will play its first game at Investors Group Field in an exhibition match against the Toronto Argonauts.
Here’s an overview of the game day plan. Kick off is at 7pm… expect a lot of traffic in, and going towards, the south end of the city this evening.
1. Paid Parking On Campus
• The new stadium features on campus parking for over 5,000 vehicles with pre-purchased seasonal parking passes;
• Only pass holders will be allowed to park on campus and no earlier than 90 minutes prior. This is a strict University policy that must be followed or tickets may be issued;
• Pre-paid seasonal parking passes are still available at $210 each;
• Lots will be filled from nearest to furthest with attendants on site to direct traffic;
• All seasonal pass holders:
o Will receive a parking information kit;
o Will be assigned an entrance and exit point;
o Must ensure parking pass is hung on rear-view mirror.
• Casual parking may become available but will be limited. Check website prior to games.
2. New Parking “Boosters” Off Campus
• Some businesses will offer paid parking in parking lots along/near Pembina Highway;
• Rates to be set by each business;
• Check website for locations.
3. New “Running Back Shuttle” Service
• Transit buses will make rounds near Booster parking lots before and after games;
• Three northbound stops along Pembina Highway at Markham, Thatcher, and University Crescent starting 90 minutes prior to game time;
• Free by showing game-day ticket; front door drop off.
4. Park & Ride with New “Blue and Gold Express”
• Park & Ride is back with city-wide locations;
• Service starts 90 minutes prior to kick off;
• Runs every 10 minutes with last trip arriving about 20 minutes before kick off;
• Drop off and pick up in front of the stadium;
• New Blue and Gold Express offers close to home pick up service;
• Loops through neighbourhoods in West Kildonan, North-East Kildonan, Transcona-St. Boniface, Windsor Park- Southdale-Island Lakes, St. Vital and St. James-River Heights;
• Two buses per route will make multiple trips from the neighbourhoods to the stadium;
• Both services free with game day ticket;
• Proudly supported by Manitoba Public Insurance.
5. Expanded Fan Fare Service
• Citywide transit service free with game day ticket;
• New University Super Express (route 161) with extra buses will run from downtown non-stop to Investors Group Field via the South-West rapid transit corridor;
• Service starts 2 hours prior to kick off and 60 minutes after game;
• Drop off/pick up in front of Investors Group Field.
6. Expanded Bike Valet
• Secure, monitored parking for 400 bicycles;
• Offered through Bicycle Valet Winnipeg;
• Proudly sponsored by Manitoba Public Insurance;
• Free of charge and perfect for environmentally and fitness conscious fans;
• Located by the north gate of Investors Group Field;
• Overflow bike racks located around stadium perimeter but not monitored.
7. Restricted Parking & Access
• Fans need to do their homework to ensure they understand all the parking and access restrictions in and around the new stadium;
• Designed to help minimize disruption for neighbours, parking will be restricted:
o In University Heights and Fort Richmond;
o Along all major streets leading into the stadium;
o In University lots reserved for staff and students;
• Signage and game day attendants and security will help direct traffic;
• Vehicles will be ticketed and towed if they are parked in restricted zones, bus lanes or if blocking driveways.
8. Handi-Transit & Accessible Parking
• For fans using Handi-Transit services, convenient drop off and pick up will be on westbound Chancellor Matheson adjacent to the transit terminal;
• Fans can access stadium through SW doors while Handi-Transit vehicles will be allowed to wait in the driveway of old Bisons stadium on westbound Chancellor;
• 185 designated disabled parking spots are available in the U Lot and other designated areas for fans who request them. To qualify, fans must have both a paid 2013 Accessible parking pass from the Blue Bombers and a valid disabled parking permit.
9. Casual Fan Drop Off
• Fans wanting to get dropped off at Investors Group Field can have their family or friends do so at two designated check points:
o One along University Crescent at Markham Road;
o The other at Chancellor Matheson at Research Road;
o Vehicles must U-turn at these checkpoints, drop off fans and event goers, and then immediately exit the campus.