Folklorama, the world’s largest and longest-running multicultural festival, kicked off on Sunday and will run until August 16, 2014.
Folklorama began in 1970 as a one time multicultural event to celebrate Manitoba’s Centennial. It was so successful it has returned every year since.
Fun stats about Folklorama:
- On average, Folklorama receives around 400,000 pavilion visits each year
- About 21% of pavilion visitors come from outside of Winnipeg.
- Typically, more than 3,000 entertainers perform at more than 1,500 shows throughout the two-week festival.
- On average, 600,000 meals are served and 1,000,000 beverages are poured before the conclusion of the festival.
- Approximately 20,000 volunteers participate to make Folklorama possible.
The 2014 Folklorama Travel Guide is now available and should help you plan out your pavilion visits.
Head to http://www.folklorama.ca for more information.