Our province turns 139 years old today – did you know that? Prairie Research conducted a survey in March 2009 and asked 801 Manitobans “When is Manitoba Day?“. Only 29, or less than 4%, knew Manitoba Day is May 12th. The province should really consider stronger marketing for this day so Manitobans everywhere can join in celebration for our wonderful province.
Happy Manitoba Day!
* Manitoba has an area of 647,797 square kilometres (250,116 sq mi) and a population of 1,213,815 (according to 2009 estimates)
* Manitoba’s largest and capital city, Winnipeg is also Western Canada’s 4th largest CMA, and has Canada’s 7th largest municipality
* The provincial flower is the Prairie Crocus
* The provincial bird is the Great Grey Owl
* The provincial tree is the White Spruce
* Manitoba entered Confederation on July 15, 1870
Image Manitoba Legislative Building Originally uploaded by Vlastula