The 2014 Winnipeg Tourism Awards of Distinction were handed out on May 1, 2014 at the RBC Convention Centre. More than 200 guests gathered to honour success in the local tourism industry. The award recognizes people, places, organizations and events that have gone above and beyond to offer a superior tourism experience to visitors.
Here are the winners:
- Volunteer of the Year: Barbara Barnett, FortWhyte Alive
- Employee of the Year: Karla Extence, Hilton Winnipeg Airport Suites
- Small Business of the Year: Gibraltar Dining Corporation
- Large Business of the Year: Winnipeg Folk Festival
- Leader of the Year: Michelle Gervais, Ô Tours
- Influencer of the Year (Bring it Home): Host Committee – 2013 World Conference of GLBT Jews
- Marketing Campaign: The Manitoba Museum – Dinosaurs Unearthed
- Innovation of the Year: RAW: almond
- Partner of the Year: Scott Marohn – Winnipeg Airports Authority
- Lifetime Achievement: Penny McMillan
“We congratulate all of today’s finalists and winners at the 2014 Tourism Awards of Distinction. They demonstrate how valuable tourism is to Winnipeg and how they are constantly striving to elevate the city as a premier tourism destination,” said Chantal Sturk-Nadeau, senior vice president, Tourism Winnipeg.