Winter is just around the corner. If a new set of winter tires isn’t in the budget, then you’ll be glad to hear that MPI will now be providing loans up to 48 months in length at prime rate plus two per cent for up to $2,000 per vehicle.
Besides a car-starter, winter tires are the best investments you can make to keep up with Winnipeg’s harsh winters.
“We want Manitobans to be as safe as possible on the roads. This financing program provides another option to buy winter tires for people who otherwise may not make this road safety purchase,” Justice Minister Andrew Swan, minister responsible for Manitoba Public Insurance. “Snow tires help you stop more quickly and reduce sliding on ice and snow, reducing the risk on the road during Manitoba’s challenging winter conditions.”
Last year, winter tires became mandatory for all passenger vehicles registered in Quebec. Quebec’s Highway Safety Code requires vehicles to have winter tires equipped between December 15 and March 15. Fines for not complying can range from $200 to $300. Quebec has reported a 5% drop in vehicles accidents since making winter tires mandatory.
Here are a few reasons to switch to winter tires:
- All-season and summer tires harden and lose traction at temperatures below 7 C
- Winter tires retain elasticity and grip at much lower temperatures
- Winter tires have up to 50 per cent more traction than all-season tires
- With more traction, your tires spend less time spinning when accelerating, resulting in less fuel consumption
To be eligible for a loan, you must be an MPI customer, purchase qualifying winter tires for a registered passenger vehicle or light truck, and not be subject to financing restrictions.
The program works as follows:
- Look for severe service winter-tire designation on qualifying tires, indicating they have met specific snow-traction performance requirements and are designed to be used in severe snow conditions. Further details can be found at:
- The customer visits a participating retailer to purchase their tires. The retailer will confirm eligibility and complete the loan authorization. The invoice will then be faxed to the customer’s Autopac agent where the financing application is processed. Customers can also bring receipts of approved winter tires into their Autopac agent’s office to have them financed as well.
- Financing term length up to 48 months. If a purchase exceeds $2,000, the customer will be required to pay the excess amount to the retailer at the time of the purchase.
- The customer’s first payment is withdrawn one month from the date the loan is processed. Subsequent preauthorized payments are withdrawn each month on the withdrawal date you selected.
- The following costs are not eligible for financing:
- repair of tires i.e. punctures, flat tires
- storage of tires between seasons unless part of initial cost
- cost of changing between all-season and winter tires after the initial purchase/installation unless part of initial cost
An online tool available at www.mpi.mb.ca will allow MPI customers to confirm financing and vehicle eligibility, evaluate financing options and search for participating tire retailers enrolled in the Winter Tire Program.
Watch the video below for a demonstration of the differences. An average set of 4 winter tires will cost around $1000.