For the 16th consecutive year, Manitoba has been crowned the Slurpee Capital of the World. Manitoba had the highest average number of Slurpee cups sold per store in a region.
The World’s Largest Slurpee
In celebration of Manitoba’s title, 7-Eleven will be unveiling the Worlds Largest Slurpee. It will be 711 litres!!! The gigantic Slurpee will be unveiled at 11:00am at the 7-Eleven location on 119 Salter St. on Saturday, July 11, 2015.
Manitoba: Slurpee Capital of the World
According to 7-Eleven market manager, Amrit Goraya, when you are not from Manitoba you may find some of these “normal occurrences” unusual…when you live in Manitoba, you don’t even notice:
- Slurpee is the number one beverage served to women in Winnipeg’s maternity wards in the summer time
- Instead of giving flowers, people meet and greet friends and family at the airport by giving them Slurpee drinks
- When it’s -40 degrees Celsius outside, people are seen waiting for the bus, biking and skating with a Slurpee in hand
- Slurpee is the choice drink for fans watching outdoor football games when it’s -20 degrees Celsius
- Slurpee is often served at summer weddings
- People consume Slurpee drinks for breakfast year round
- As of July 2013, Winnipeg plays host to one of the top three Slurpee stores: Airdrie, Alberta, snatching the #1 spot; Portage Avenue in Winnipeg (#2); Devonshire Drive North, Regina (#3)
Free Slurpee Day
On Saturday, July 11, 2015 (7/11), 7-Eleven will once again be giving away free Slurpees at all its stores across the country between 11:00am and 7:00pm. The free Slurpees will be in 12oz cup. Each store will be have a minimum 1,500 free Slurpee’s.