Contract negotiations between the Canadian Union of Postal workers and Canada Post have continued to be unsuccessful and we may see a Canada Post service disruption sometime soon. Certain Canada Post locations have stopped accepting outgoing mail.
Citizens are advised to call 311 for information on how City services that normally use Canada Post will operate in the event of a work stoppage.
City departments and services affected by this work stoppage include:
Assessment and Taxation
Citizens are reminded that property tax bills are still due by the deadline. The deadline for paying 2016 Property Taxes is Thursday, June 30, 2016.
Please use one of the following convenient payment options available, including:
- Tax Installment Plan (TIPP)
- In person, online or through telephone banking through your financial institution
- By courier
- In person at City Hall, 510 Main Street or at the Bilingual Service Centre, 170 Goulet Street during regular business hours, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday (except holidays)
- Using drive-by service on June 28, 29 and 30. This service is available at the corner of James Avenue and King Street between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Please have your tax bill and a cheque or money order ready in an envelope to present to staff. Cash payments cannot be accepted by this method.
- After hours: Drop an envelope containing a cheque or money order together with the bottom portion of the tax bill in the mail slot located on the Main Floor of the Administration Building, 510 Main Street, at the James Avenue entrance nearest to King Street.
- Online credit card payment for property tax bills via a third-party service provider – Plastiq
For more information on payment options please contact 311 or toll free at 1-877-311-4974, or visitwww.winnipegassessment.com.
Please contact the Department through 311 to make alternate arrangements.
Winnipeg Public Library
Winnipeg Public Library members who receive notices by mail are advised to use the Library’s online My Account service at www.winnipeg.ca/library. My Account allows members to review their request lists, see their items on hold, and renew items borrowed among other services.
Library members can also call or visit any of the 20 branches of Winnipeg Public Library to switch their account notification option from mail to phone or email. Library members can also call or visit any of the 20 branches of Winnipeg Public Library to switch their account notification to email.
The WPL To Go smartphone app also allows easy access to My Account. TeleMessaging service is also available at any time for account messages and renewals at 204-986-4657 or toll-free at 1-866-826-4454.
Individuals needing to apply for, or renew a business licence should visit 30 Fort Street, Community By-law Enforcement Services, Monday to Friday between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
Bid submissions may be delivered to the Materials Management office on the main floor, 185 King Street.
Payments to City vendors/suppliers of services and goods will still be made.
If you are not already on direct deposit, cheques will be available for pick-up at Corporate Finance – Treasury, Main Floor, Administration Building, 510 Main Street, between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
Vendors/suppliers are advised to have the cheque number, cheque date and vendor number to provide to Treasury staff when picking up cheques. Please contact 311 for accounts payable inquiries.
As well, identification will be required (e.g., company cheques, business card, or letter of authorization on company letterhead). Couriers may be utilized for cheque pick-up if the same information is supplied. For other Accounts Payable information, including receiving details on how to set up direct deposit, please contact 311.
Invoices can be emailed to the City of Winnipeg at CityWpgAP@winnipeg.ca. They can also be dropped off at Corporate Finance, 4th Floor, Administration Building, 510 Main Street.
Corporate Support Services
Individuals who have recently submitted employment applications to the City via Canada Post are asked to contact the Department by phone at 311, to confirm that their application was received.
Anyone who is planning on applying for a City of Winnipeg employment position is advised to submit their application online at www.winnipeg.ca or in person to the main floor, Administration Building, 510 Main Street.
Please contact the Department through 311 to make alternate arrangements.
Planning, Property and Development
Citizens, clients and suppliers are advised to contact the Cemetery by phone at 204-986-4348.
Customers with Planning, Property and Development accounts are advised to contact the Department through 311 to make alternate arrangements such as courier or in-person drop-offs.
Customers with Public Works accounts are advised to contact the Department through 311 to make alternate arrangements such as courier or in-person drop-offs.
Water and Waste
Customers who receive a utility bill (either by Canada Post, ePost, or other delivery service) must pay the amount owing by the due date to avoid late payment charges. Utility bills can be paid:
- Using online or telephone banking
- At authorized agents (e.g., financial institutions, designated drug stores and grocery stores)
- In person at City Hall, 510 Main Street and the Bilingual Service Centre, 170 Goulet Street during regular business hours, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday (except holidays) with cash, cheque, money order, or debit card
- By cheque/money order (payable to City of Winnipeg) at drop boxes located at Manitoba Hydro and MTS offices and outlets
- Through MoneyGram (service fees apply) at Canada Post retail locations, which will remain open during a postal strike but may have reduced hours.
To confirm that we have received your payment, you can contact our Utility Billing Centre by phone at 204-986-2455 or by email at email@example.com.
Brady Road Resource Management Facility Bills
Customers who receive a bill for Brady Road Resource Management Facility tipping fees, small commercial collection fees or bulky and surplus waste collection fees must pay by the due date to avoid late payment charges. Bills can be paid in person at:
- 1120 Waverly Street during regular business hours, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday (except holidays) with cheque, or money order
- Brady Road Landfill office during regular business hours, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday to Friday (except holidays) with cash, cheque, money order, or credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express only)
Customers with Water and Waste accounts are advised to contact the Department through 311 to make alternate arrangements such as courier or in-person drop-offs.
Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service
To ensure payments are received on time, customers are advised to make payments:
- In person at Fire Paramedic Service, Main Floor, 185 King Street, at City Hall, 510 Main Street or at the Bilingual Service Centre, 170 Goulet Street during regular business hours, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday (except holidays)
- By phone using a credit card at 204-986-3001
- Online at www.winnipeg.ca/fps/Billing/
Winnipeg Parking Authority
The Winnipeg Parking Authority provides a number of methods of payment for fines related to outstanding offence notices that are not dependent on regular mail service.
Customers who wish to take advantage of the early payment discount other delivery service must pay the amount owing by the due date to avoid default conviction and the requirement to pay the full fine.
Outstanding fines can be paid:
- Using online payment through our website at www.theparkingstore.winnipeg.ca
- By telephone through 311
- In person at 495 Portage Avenue, Monday to Friday, between 8:30 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. or Saturdays, between 10:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. (except holidays) with cash, cheque, money order, credit or debit card
- By cheque or money order (payable to City of Winnipeg) at the drop boxes located at 495 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg Police Service
Residents who normally use Canada Post for correspondence with the Winnipeg Police Service are advised that mail for the Service can be dropped off at the Police Headquarters, 245 Smith Street, for distribution.