Effective October 30, 2021, anyone departing from Canadian airports, on VIA Rail and Rocky Mountaineer trains, and on non-essential passenger vessels (such as cruise ships) on voyages of 24 hours or more, will need to be fully vaccinated.
The vaccination requirement will apply to all travellers 12 years of age and older who are:
- Air passengers flying on domestic, transborder or international flights departing from airports in Canada
- Rail passengers on VIA Rail and Rocky Mountaineer trains
- Marine passengers on non-essential passenger vessels, such as cruise ships, on voyages of 24 hours or more
Travellers who are currently in the process of being vaccinated will be given a short transition period where they will be able to travel if they can show a valid COVID-19 negative test within 72 hours of their travel date.
By November 30, 2021, all travellers must be fully vaccinated, with very limited exceptions to address situations such as emergency travel, and those medically unable to be vaccinated.
In addition, this vaccination mandate will include specific accommodation to recognize the unique needs of travellers from small, remote communities (some of which are not accessible by road) to ensure they will be able to travel to obtain essential services in support of their medical, health, or social well-being, and return safely to their homes. This accommodation will be informed by engagement with Indigenous organizations and provinces and territories in the coming days.
Vaccine Requirements for Employees in the Travel Industry
As of October 30, 2021, employers in the federally regulated air, rail, and marine transportation sectors will be required to establish vaccination policies for their organizations.
Specifically, the vaccination requirement will apply to:
- airlines and airports, and other organizations who have employees who enter restricted areas of airports, such as concession and hospitality workers
- federally regulated railways, and their rail crew and track employees
- marine operators with Canadian vessels that operate with 12 or more crew
After a short phase-in period, each organization is required to guarantee employees are fully vaccinated or they will be unable to work.