City Releases St. Boniface Industrial Fire Update
Image FIRE! – Uploaded by Gregory Jordan

The City has released information regarding the large industrial fire that occurred on Monday, October 1, 2012 at 40 Nicholas Avenue.

Fire Response Details:

* The initial call to the WFPS was received at 5:27 p.m.
* The fire was considered a second alarm fire. During the course of the fire, approximately 61 WFPS members were on site to battle the fire. Nineteen (19) pieces of WFPS equipment were used to fight the fire including pumper units, rescue units and aerial ladders.
* Damage is estimated at $15 million and a cause has not yet been determined.
* Winnipeg Police Service (WPS) provided approximately 20 units to assist with traffic control and securing the area as well as additional assistance to WFPS to evacuate the area.
* A safety perimeter of 800 metres was established for fire crews and a safety perimeter of 1000 metres was established for homes and businesses directly west of the fire site.
* A request for a foam suppression unit was made to Canadian Forces Base 17 Wing.
* A command centre was established on the corner of Nicholas Avenue and Marion Street. WFPS and WPS officials as well as the City’s Emergency Preparedness Coordinator and other responding partners, were located at this site and provided strategic coordination throughout the event.
* This was one of the largest fires that WFPS crews have attended with regards to number of firefighters and pieces of equipment used.

Additional information:

* Approximately 100 residences and businesses were evacuated.
* Winnipeg Transit provided two buses positioned on Marion Street for evacuees to seek immediate shelter outside of the evacuation area.
* An evacuation centre, organized by the City’s Emergency Social Services Unit, was established at the Fort Garry Curling Club, 696 Archibald Street. A small number of evacuees (50) attended the centre as most people displaced by the fire were able to find temporary shelter with family and friends.
* The evacuation order was lifted on October 2, 2012 at 12:30 a.m. and it is expected that all evacuees will now have returned home and that businesses impacted by the evacuation have resumed normal operations.

The City will continue to provide additional updates as information becomes available.